WEST MIDDLESEX TENNIS CLUB HISTORY
West Middlesex Lawn Tennis Club was founded in Ealing, West London, in about 1910 and has witnessed many dramatic events.
In 1964 the main pavilion burnt down and in 1966 the club, which then occupied three and a half
acres of railway land, fought off council plans to take over the site. In 1981 the club faced steep rent rises and possible extinction, but on this occasion the local council was the saviour as it provided a grant to assist the club in coping with the increased expense.
The rebuilt clubhouse was again destroyed by fire in 1985 and survival was once more in the balance, but in 1986/87 the landlords, British Rail, sold the land to Barratts and the club negotiated to relocate to its present site and acquire the land. As part of the deal the club lost six of its grass courts, but secured five new floodlit courts and a smart new clubhouse.
As a result of a loan from the LTA and the Sports Council, facilities were further updated in 1988 when the four remaining grass courts were replaced with new hard courts.
The Club has adopted a strong programme of tennis court maintenance, and repairs and/or renewals have been made to all tennis courts.